Here are some thoughts re the interaction I had on LinkedIn with a relentless Chinese martketeer over the course of the past year.
I accepted a connection to the Chinese marketeer in February of 2019. By March I realized that this company was using LinkedIn to send un-requested marketing materials. In March 2019 I responded – clearly – that I was not interested. The company continued to send their marketing messages. I told them ‘no’ twice more.
Here’s my issue:
- LinkedIn provides a platform enabling these folks to reach out to me easily with obviously-automated advertising ‘spam’.
- LinkedIn ‘ai’ attaches 3 automated responses to each marketeer message. All three of the automated responses are some variation on “yes“. (Just wondering: Why do you need 3 ways-to-say-Yes?)
- LinkedIn refuses to help me – their paying Premium customer – to say “no“. I am obliged to type that myself.
- The Chinese marketeer ignores my clear response to their advertising.
- LinkedIn refuses to acknowledge or support my clear desire to not receive this advertising material through their platform.
I am now obliged to block the offending Chinese marketeer ‘by hand’. Meanwhile, LinkedIn continues to charge me a monthly Premium rate for … doing nothing.
Analyze the Problem
- LinkedIn clearly recognizes that the marketeer is making an advertising play.
- LinkedIn assists the marketeer by automating a ‘yes‘ button in response.
- LinkedIn constrains me by denying me an automated option to the ‘yes‘ button.
As a businessman, I appreciate LinkedIn’s desire to support their marketeering base. As a paying customer and regular content contributor, I am offended at LinkedIn’s poor treatment.
Some Modest Usability Solutions
When your ai determines that a message contains a yes/no proposition, then provide yes/no automated responses. You also have the option to include more conditional responses like ‘tell me more’ (slightly positive) or ‘not at this time’ (slightly negative).
When your ai determines that I have previously denied or rejected a marketeering proposal (particularly when it is automated advertising spam), then provide buttons which allow me to block the offending party.
And you, LinkedIn, should take measures to discipline marketeers who act in bad faith.
Shallow greed begets design bias.
The Marketeering Thread
This is the cut’n’paste record of my messages on LinkedIn with the offending Chinese marketeer:
World leading manufacturer in string light, base holder, cable plug & electronic accessories!
潘坤 sent the following message at 4:57 AM
Happy new year! As world leading manufacturer in string light, base holder, plug & cable, our turnover 1.1 billion RMB in 2018 ! New string light, base holder, cable & plug are hot sale in USA, Europe & Australia. If interested, contact us! www.jt-lite.com
潘坤 is now a connection.
潘坤 sent the following messages at 7:20 PM
Hi John, thanks for accepting our invitation! Happy new year! We are China biggest manufacturer in string light, cable, base holder & plug, 22 years history, 165,000m2, 1200 workers! Especially the NEW LED string light, 24VDC, 12VDC, solar powered version, vintage style, dimming without dimmer, IP65 waterproof, anti-corrosion, salt water corrosion proof & UV rated! Warmly welcome you to visit our factory!
- JT string light online NEW tech brochure: https://book.yunzhan365.com/pybw/zgdy/mobile/index.htm
- Email: email@example.com Skype: wc26baa63 Wechat ID: allcc668899
- Web: www.jt-lite.com
Any help, contact with us! Have a good day! ^_^
潘坤 5:14 AM
潘坤 5:18 AM
Have you checked our string light tech brochure? Complete and smart version links, reading on phone, use finger/ forefinger to turn up and down pages, just like reading book, page up and down automatically. If download version needed, please ask.
潘坤 10:33 AM
We are China biggest string light manufacturer, our turnover up to 1.1 billion RMB in 2018! String light used for general lighting in garden, courtyard, corridor, terrace, camping, beach, plantation, farmland, breeding industry.
Will you come to China recently and what is your time to visit our factory? JT string light online NEW tech brochure: https://book.yunzhan365.com/pybw/zgdy/mobile/index.html
- Click or press enter to display JT string light 190327 01.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display JT string light 190327 02.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display JT string light 190327 03.jpg in the image preview
1) John Vaughan sent the following message at 11:56 AM
潘坤 sent the following messages at 12:12 PM
Dear John, will you come to guangzhou fair April 15-19? we are on booth 15-18, not on booth last date 19. will you come to our booth? We are China biggest manufacturer in string light, cable, base holder, plug & related accessories. www.jt-lite.com
潘坤 7:31 AM
Dear John, will you come to guangzhou lighting fair June 9-12? Our booth No. Hall 4.2 B56. We are China biggest manufacturer in string light, cable, base holder, plug & related accessories. www.jt-lite.com
- Click or press enter to display QQ截图20190514165759.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display QQ截图20190514165925.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display QQ截图20190514171747.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display QQ截图20190514170209.jpg in the image preview
2) John Vaughan sent the following message at 8:08 AM
No thank you
潘坤 sent the following message at 9:02 PM
潘坤 9:02 PM
Hello John, how about your response on our IP65 string light? We are world leading string light manufacturer, our turnover 1.1 billion RMB in 2018! www.jt-lite.com
- Click or press enter to display JT string light 02.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display JT string light 05.jpg in the image preview
- Click or press enter to display JT string light 08.jpg in the image preview
3) John Vaughan sent the following message at 7:42 AM
LinkedIn needs to rediscover its professional soul.
© The Communication Studio LLC